Tuesday 5 February 2013

Cooking in Istanbul

I've always been fascinated by Istanbul ever since a lad when I used to look at my grandfather Harry's postcard collection. He came to Constantinople in the 20s and sailed up the Bosphorus and the collection of fine old postcards is still in my possession. Our hotel overlooks the old walls of the Topkapi Palace, the former home of the Sultan.


View from Hotel Sireki konak




No visit would be complete without a trip to the Grand Bazaar. Why did I buy 4 carpet cushions I wonder? Still, a bargain. At least I thought so but then I am probably crap at bargaining. At least I resisted the carpets, always a trap for the visiting tourist.


A most pleasant meal last night, cooked at my own fair hands. As you can see here. But a Jamie Oliver I ain't.




I prepared Kisir and Kuzo Kavurma, as you ask. Perhaps with a little help! With all that effort though I needed a proper meal and so with my brother and wife in tow we went off to one of Istanbul's top Ottoman restaurants.

And now it's back to London. In time for the annual Guardian Public Services Summit.

No comments: